Monday, 6th October 2014 - 21:00
From locating potholes to monitoring air quality, new technologies could revolutionise the UK’s transport system and reduce local authority costs
A new guide launched today by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) and Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) UK will help local authorities make use of new technologies, such as big data analytics and cloud computing, to revolutionise their local transport systems while also reducing costs. In the current political and financial environment, where local authorities are increasingly strapped for cash, the guide illustrates how some local authorities have used technology to improve their transport systems while managing, and in some cases reducing, costs. The guide sets out some of the advantages new technologies can bring in solving existing and future transport problems. Examples range from smartphone apps to determine road and cycle path conditions, to Bluetooth systems that allow transport operators and planners to analyse journeys across multiple transport modes in near real-time. ...
Subscribe to the ITS UK monthly newsletter and keep up-to-date with ITS news. The
ITS UK newsletter features a range of articles relating to current ITS developments
and future events.
read more ›
View the ITS UK publications archive. The archive contains useful publications aimed
at all who have an interest in the UK ITS sector. They are available free of charge.
read more ›
Coming to Visit?
Are you planning on visiting us or attending one of our featured events? If so,
plan your journey to and from the venue by public transport using the Transport
Direct online journey planner.
Visit the Transport Direct Website ›
ITS (UK) News
- 06/10/14 From locating potholes to monitoring air quality, new technologies could revolutionise the UK’s transport system and reduce local authority costs
- 08/08/14 ITS United Kingdom signs Memorandum of Understanding with ATEC ITS France
- 01/08/14 ITS United Kingdom updates its “Blue Guide” for Local Authorities
- 18/07/14 ITS United Kingdom makes Awards for excellence in ITS
- 07/07/14 ITS United Kingdom promotes UK ITS at the 2014 European ITS Congress in Helsinki
- 03/06/14 ITS United Kingdom re-elects Chairman and Vice Chairman
- 20/05/14 ITS (UK) 2014 Review is published
- 30/04/14 ITS (UK) receives public transport delegation from Nigeria