What is ITS?
Intelligent Transport Systems: a combination of Information Technology and telecommunications, allowing the provision of on-line information in all areas of public and private administration.
ITS can be applied to road transport to improve efficiency and safety through the provision of on-line information to drivers in their vehicles and by equipping the vehicle with computerised systems which assist the driver (e.g. following and lane keeping).
It also improves the efficiency of transport by use of electronic systems to improve traffic control and enforcement of traffic regulations. Electronic motorway tolling and congestion charging are also ITS options.
Management of vehicle fleets, both freight and public transport, can also be improved by the provision of on-line information and two way communication between manager and driver.
Provision of on-line information to bus, train, and train passengers creates a better informed traveller. Electronic ticketing (by means of Smartcards, for example) enables faster, easier travel by public transport.
Intelligent Transport Systems will have beneficial effects on the environment by reducing air and noise pollution on highways and by helping to create traffic free zones in cities.
Who are ITS (UK)?
ITS UNITED KINGDOM, the UK association for the promotion of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), is a not-for-profit public/private sector association financed by members' subscriptions, and provides a forum for all organisations concerned with ITS. We work to bring the benefits that ITS can offer in terms of economic efficiency, transport safety, and environmental benefits to the United Kingdom - and at the same time expand the ITS market.
Our 2015 Business Plan can be downloaded here.
The membership, over 150 UK organisations, comprises Government Departments, Local Authorities, consultants, manufacturing and service companies, and academic and research institutions.
Members benefit from ITS United Kingdom activities including seminars, workshops and regular news dissemination. ITS United Kingdom encourages discussion on issues such as public/private co-operation, standards, legislation, information provision and new technology.
Our Mission and Aims
The Intelligent Transport Society for the United Kingdom (ITS (UK)) is a not-for-profit public/private sector association financed by members' subscriptions. It promotes the benefits of Intelligent Transport Solutions (ITS) and
supports the interests of member organisations by:
- Providing readily accessible opportunities for practitioners and stakeholders to meet on an equal footing to promote mutual understanding and to increase knowledge and awareness of ITS best practice;
- Leading informed and balanced debate on ITS and influencing relevant policies by acting as the recognised reference point for information on ITS; and
- Promoting the international excellence of UK technology, expertise and solutions.
The mission and aims are achieved by:
1. drawing together active players and interested parties, by means of targeted Interest Groups, Task Forces and other fora, to lead the debate about and knowledge of ITS deployment.
2. educating and informing, in an accessible way, practitioners and stakeholders both within and beyond the current ITS community.
3. providing other membership benefits and services sufficient to attract and retain high membership uptake across all categories of ITS practitioners and stakeholders.
4. adopting and maintaining high national profile and influence and an international reputation through:
- a President able and committed to promoting the mission;
- the use of relevant people and media (including the press) to raise awareness, knowledge and debate about ITS issues of both strategic and topical relevance; and
- promoting participation in targeted international activities.
5. developing, maintaining and promoting leading edge ITS seminars and documentation, demonstrating best practice, forethought and relevant case studies and indicating the economic, social and environmental contribution of ITS to transport policy.
6. identifying, brokering and commissioning research unlikely otherwise to be commissioned on issues relevant to ITS deployment.
ITS (UK) News
- 08/08/16 ITS (UK) Student and Apprentice Essay Award 2016 is now open for entries
- 28/07/16 Case studies invited for the 2016 edition of the IET & ITS (UK) Local Authority Guide to Emerging Transport Technology
- 22/07/16 ITS United Kingdom makes Awards for excellence in Intelligent Transport Systems
- 07/07/16 Professor Eric Sampson CBE, ITS United Kingdom Ambassador, elected to the international ITS Hall of Fame
- 14/06/16 ITS United Kingdom at the 2016 ITS in Europe Congress in Glasgow
- 02/06/16 ITS United Kingdom elects Chairman and Vice Chairman for 2016/17
- 24/05/16 TRL and ITS United Kingdom award ITS Student Prize
- 08/04/16 Glasgow hosts the 11th ITS European Congress